family

family

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Good-bye Steve Jobs

Tory and I took Skyla to the Cupertino BJ's, our new Sunday football hangout a few weeks ago.  Might not seem like the coolest spot, but it's very family friendly and they have an awesome brunch menu.  Skyla was getting a little tired of watching grown men slam into one another (can't say I blame her) so I took her for a little stroll.  I knew we were close to the Apple campus, but was completely unprepared to see a shrine for the recently-deceased Steve Jobs.  I was really struck by how many people were there to pay tribute to him, as well as the somber tone of the whole place.  No one spoke as we looked at the beautiful, creative, and often funny gifts people had left to honor him.  Many people left apples, and took a small bit of them to resemble the famous logo.  There were packages from various Apple products, including a box for an iPad (and a few people wondered aloud if the iPad was in there -- as if).  As I surveyed the scene and took pictures with my iPhone (like everyone else!), I couldn't help but think about the cycle of life.  Skyla is so young still and has her whole life ahead of her.  I can only pray that she will live a very happy, healthy, long life.  I feel a primal urge to protect her from EVERYTHING and I know I won't be able to forever.  As I looked at the pictures of Steve Jobs I thought about how his mother gave him up for adoption.  I can't imagine being away from Skyla for even one day, let alone giving her to someone else to raise.  When I worry about her getting sick or hurt, Tory assures me that he will do everything he can to protect her.  I guess that's the best you can hope for, right?

Here are a few pictures of the memorial.  If you look closely at the posters and the keyboard you can see some touching and clever messages.






There were also really sweet signs made by everyone from children to adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment