I'm fed up with the lack of progress on gun control at the national level. Thankfully, I live in a state with more rational people than gun-crazy whack-a-doos. I recently had the chance to voice my opinion at a hearing in Sacramento in which State Senators were debating many gun control bills, that all together are called the LIFE act. I went with Skyla, my parents, many members of Moms Demand Action, and hundreds of other concerned Californians. It was very emotional listening to the testimony of people begging for stronger gun laws, and it was sickening listening to the nutcases who came to talk about the government not taking guns out of their hands. I was one of the first people to get up and speak my mind when it was time for open comments, and I talked about my experiences as a teacher in inner-city public schools, as well as my opinions as a mom. Luckily we have a Democratic-led state legislature, so the bills passed through committee easily, passed both houses, and will soon be signed by Governor Brown. Will this stop every act of gun violence in California? Of course not. Does it make me feel just a little bit safer, and just a little bit more certain that my baby girl will grow up here safely. You better believe it. Here are two photos: one of us speaking up, and one reminder of all the cowards who voted no on the national background checks bill.
No comments:
Post a Comment